Elsie S. Hogan Community Library

Willcox's Elsie S. Hogan Community Library

Library History

The library opened for business on November 1, 1923 by The Woman's Club and was originally housed in the high school library. In early 1930 it was housed in City Hall, which was then a part of the Masonic building. In 1936 a portion of the Woman's Club House was dedicated to the library and it remained there until about 1969 when it was then moved to 450 W. Maley.

On March 1, 1970 the library was dedicated to Elsie S. Hogan for her many years of service. She was one of the original members of the Woman's Club in 1911, who voluntarily operated the library from 1961-1967. In 1967, after 44 years of all-volunteer effort by the Woman's Club, the City took over the Library operation, and Elsie became the first paid librarian, serving until her retirement in 1975 at the age of 85!

On February 12, 1996 the remodeled Willcox Market building at 100 N. Curtis Avenue became the new Elsie S. Hogan Community Library. With that move, the library has experienced significant growth in customer use, circulation and technology needs.

To address those needs, we maintain a collection of approximately 32,000 items, and offer the public free access to 21 laptops and desktop computers, plus Wi-Fi access for their own laptops, a streamlined process to self-reserve a library PC, and now offers patrons a self-checkout workstation to make their library experience even more convenient, thanks to a Library Services & Technology grant in FY 08-09 from AZ State Library, Archives & Public Records. We are connected to 13 other libraries as part of Cochise County Library District, sharing one huge collection database, so we can offer our patrons immediate access to over 400,000 items in various media formats.

Beyond that, the State Library provides access to over 30 information databases, so the world is right here at your fingertips. Books are our "brand" but today, public libraries offer SO much more!